Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Caprica is Back, But Do I Care?

So I just watched the new episode of Caprica on Syfy. I wanted to call it the season premiere, but it's not. Technically, we are only halfway through the first season. It's bad enough that Syfy split up the show for this long, but it was actually going to be worse. Syfy had originally planned on airing the episodes in January. But enough on that.

Anyways, I wasn't all that impressed. I watched the first half of the season last whenever and I could never get that into it. I would watch a couple episodes and start thinking I should just stop and then it would deliver a much better episode and I would keep watching. Unfortunately, there were only enough "good" episodes to string me along, not enough to actually make me excited about the show.

Tonight's episode was just not that great. The whole religious stuff with all the infighting and terrorist plotting just does not thrill me. Some religion that is. No wonder everyone thinks they are crazy. I just can't figure out what the writers are trying to tell us with this stuff. Are they the villains? Tragic heroes?

I think that pretty much sums up the whole problem; I can't figure out who I'm supposed to root for. I don't actually like any of the characters. There are only two decent characters (Zoe and Tamara) and they ARE DEAD.

The virtual reality aspect is really the only part of the show that I do like. The scenes that take place in New Cap City are gripping, action packed, and compelling. I think Tamara's story arc in the first part of the season was the only thing that kept me watching. And now to close last night's episode, we get a kick-ass scene of Zoe in New Cap City, complete with ninja moves and sword fighting. Which means that I'll have to watch the next episode, because, let's face it, I want to see more of that. The rest of it, I could take it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment