Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mutant Enemy

So the other day I was at work and I was listening to music on my iPod. I had just added a few albums that I hadn't heard in awhile and found myself listening to Yes' Close to the Edge album, which is a progressive rock masterpiece of epic proportions. (Whoah, just geeked out a little hard on that...but really it is good stuff if you're into that sort of thing.)

Anyways, I was listening to "And You and I" and caught the phrase "mutant enemy" and thought to myself, "Wait, isn't that the name of Joss Whedon's production company?" You know, the guy responsible for all of those awesome tv shows like Buffy, Angel, and Firefly? Why yes, if fact it is.

So after referring to the ever-trustworthy Wikipedia entry, it turns out that Joss was or is a big Yes fan himself and took the name from that very song. I thought that it was pretty cool that I actually made the connection, that is until I realized how many times I've heard the song and totally missed it.

Here's the verse where it's used:
Said preacher nailed upon the colored door of time
Insane teacher be there reminded of the rhyme
There'll be no mutant enemy we shall certify
Political ends, as sad remains, will die
Reach out as forward tastes begin to enter you
Wow, those are some pretty weird lyrics and I'm not even going to try to figure out what they mean at this time of night, but that's Yes for you.

Well, that's it for today. Grrr. Arrrgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment