Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What to Read

Last night, I finished the fourth book in Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series, Captain's Fury. I started reading it on the plane ride to Comic-Con and finished most of the book over the course of the trip. It was probably the best in the series so far.

One of my favorite things about Butcher's novels--especially in the Dresden Files, which I prefer over Codex Alera--is his pacing. He never lets his foot off the gas. His novels are a constant thrill ride and I love that. The fourth book was no exception.

The other thing that Butcher does really well is write compelling characters. I do think he does a better job of it in the Dresden Files--there isn't a character that I don't love or love to hate--but Tavi is really developing into an interesting, if not a little too perfect, character.

The last point I want to make about the fourth book was that it was awesome seeing some of the plot devices from earlier novels reemerging and seeing many questions get answered. I really like how there is a clear, underlying plot that helps string each novel together.

But now that I've finished the book, I can't decide what to read. I've got several novels on my shelf that I still need to read including God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert and Shadow Rising (Book 4 of the Wheel of Time) by Robert Jordan, but I think I have decided upon Royal Assassin, which is the second novel in the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb.

Well, I'm out. Godspeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment